Thursday, May 7, 2009

To Book or E-Book?

If I had a Kindle (not yet!), I imagine I’d run up against the constant dilemma when I wanted to buy a new book: book or e-book (or both)? I love my physical books, for their evocative physical elements, their permanence, their browsability in ways that are unique to physical books, but I’m sure I’d love elements about e-books too: their portability, their searchability, their cost. But that’s all speculative for me now. On the debut day of Kindle DX, it seems appropriate to have run across (via Fallows) one experienced dual reader (David Wolf at Silicon Hutong) who has thought through the decision process (complicated by his long-term residence in Beijing) enough to have constructed a flow chart:

I liked the flow chart, but even more I like the quote he found in Nassim Taleb’s The Black Swan that just might help me in my ongoing negotiations with my wife to turn our house into a private library that, as a secondary benefit, also includes bedrooms and a kitchen:

Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allow you to put there.

Any Kindle (or other e-book) readers out there who want to share their own book/e-book decision tree? –Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment